In Australia, it is spring and the weather here in Sydney has been super warm, making me dread the upcoming summer heat. I am in the process of losing weight and last summer I was also heavily pregnant with my son, thus I have very few spring/summer items in my wardrobe. Luckily there are some lovely blouse patterns in my collection and I have worked out a bit of a sewing routine – when I have one free moment over the day. My aim is to sew a few (at least 4) tops to wear over the summer. I already have one – a simplicity pattern that I will write about another time. This is a realistic goal for me as I can’t predict how productive my days will be. My children come first and some days I struggle to do other than make sure they are happy, fed and loved.
My current sewing project is the Colette Violet. I know I’m a bit late to the party, as the pattern has been around quite a while. It’s such a pretty design with a 60s feel. I just love the look of peter pan collars and this is my first attempt at an adult sized one. I am sewing version one – the short sleeves – in anticipation for hot summer days. It’s a loose-fitting blouse with bust darts and centre gathers at the back yoke to give some shape.
Over the weekend I traced the pattern (Saturday), cut out the fabric and ironed on the fusible interfacing to the pieces (Sunday). Monday, I was able to complete a lot of the construction – up to sewing the shoulder seams and pinning the collar to the main fabric. Tuesday, I managed to attach the collar and facing without too much swearing. It was super thick with all the layers and part of me wished I hadn’t bothered with interfacing on the facing as it seemed too much bulk. By Friday the blouse was complete…except the buttons. My buttonholes are never that good. They look messy and almost always slightly too big. Of course, this time, I sew one perfect buttonhole and it’s too small! I haven’t been able to go back to it yet but I am really happy with how it has turned out. It’s going to be a lovely blouse to wear over summer. This is how it looks so far:
I picked this cotton from Lincraft. I don’t usually go for prints like this but I really like it. I’m really happy with how the collar sits as I was worried about the bulkiness at the seams. I did clip it lots though! Once I have completed the blouse I will put up some better shots of it. I’ve already decided to make one for my sister as a Christmas present using a gorgeous mint cotton fabric with a whale print. Such a great pattern to work with and a new favourite of mine.